Shirley Spitfire Trail Map and Worksheet now available!
Thanks to Reaching Communities lottery funding, the Shirley Local History Group have worked with artist Sarah Silver to design a Shirley Spitfire Trail Map to replace our postponed Autumn Talks series 2020.
The trail will provide people with a self-guided walk taking in the sites local to St.James’ Park where the ’secret’ Spitfire factories were located during WW2. The walk starts and finishes at the Park with encouragement to drop into the ParkLife Cafe for a cup of tea afterwards! You can download a digital copy of the trail map or printed copies are available from:
- Cafe in St.James’ Park for a donation of £1 which will go to ParkLife
- Solent Sky Museum for a donation of £1 which will go to the Museum
Please note: if you are walking with older children – we would suggest a shorter route which misses out stops 3 – 5 (along Winchester Road which can be busy). We have developed an Investigation Sheet which can be filled in along the route. We do not recommend the Shirley Spitfire Trail for families with young children due to the number of road crossings. Our thanks go to:
- Reaching Communities National Lottery Fund
- Sarah Silver who designed the map
- Alan Matlock at the Spitfire Makers Charitable Trust & Dave Key at The Supermariners for supporting information
- Southampton City Archives & Solent Sky Museum for photographs
Download the Shirley Spitfire Trail Map and Worksheet.