- Sunday, 23 June 2013
- 12:00 am
Plant Party in the Park – Sunday 23rd June 2013
Despite the blustery weather more suited to March, hundreds of people came to St.James’ Park to take part in a Plant Party to celebrate the coming of summer!
The Hampshire‑based Voxpop Choir entertained us from underneath the Gazebo with a selection of songs both old and new, whilst families relaxed on the grass. Visitors were also able to take part in a variety of plant‑related activities:
- A team of teenage volunteers were on hand to paint flowers, bees, and butterflies onto faces and hands.
- For Make a Garden on a Biscuit, materials were provided for young visitors to design their own miniature gardens by decorating biscuits with green icing and cake decorations (and then to eat them!).
- A Leaf Trail kept older children busy around the Park.
- The FoSJP Gardening Team was on hand for Plant a Seed in which children could plant their own sunflower seeds to take home with them.
- The adults tested their knowledge with a fun plant‑based quiz.
- Mayfield Nurseries were on hand to sell a variety of plants.
- Wild plant expert Celia Cox led a Wildflower Walk and Talk around the Park.