- Saturday, 04 June 2016
- 12:00 am
Party Time! Saturday 4th June 2016
To celebrate both the 10‑year anniversary of FoSJP and the 90th birthday of the Queen, our Community Volunteer Coordinator, Marina Murphy, and her merry volunteers organised a very well‑attended event at St.James’ Park. Attractions included:
- Mini Traction Engine rides – many thanks to Dave Clothier, his wife, and Tom, as always
- Football Speedo Challenge – thanks to Paul Stoddart for this, and congratulations to adult winner James Delaney with a score of 54 mph, and to junior winner 13 year‑old Ryan Brown with a speed of 50mph – look out Cristiano Ronaldo!
- Paint Pots Nursery provided hook‑a‑duck and facepainting
- Sustrans provided the Bike Challenge
- The ever‑popular soft toy tombola – thanks to all who made soft toy donations
- Ange’s Brow and Waxing and Southampton Voluntary Services had stalls
- Churches Together in Shirley & District provided a super marquee under which they organised celebration crafts with all the children, together with a fantastic display of local history covering the last 90 years, created and assembled by Vicki Stacey and the FoSJP History Research Group
The music system and sounds were supplied by Phil, his wife, and parents, for which we thank them, and the party bunting was lent by our friends at the Down To Earth Farm.
The ParkLife Café laid on a great BBQ, very popular as always, while the Café and ice creams did a roaring trade – all in all one of their best sales days ever!
Everyone agreed that it was a day to celebrate the way in which our little Park can bring all the different and varied people of Shirley together: the sun shone, the ice lollies and the burgers tasted great, and there was the busy buzz of grown‑ups and children simply having a lovely day, just a short walk from their homes.