- Saturday, 17 October 2009
- 12:00 am
Green Nose Day – Saturday 17th October 2009
From the Organisers
It seems a while ago when we came up with the idea of Green Nose Day. We had no idea how much work it would include, and it was a rollercoaster of a ride sending out letters and e-mails and making last-minute decisions.
On behalf of our team, we’d like to say a big “Thank You” to everyone who helped: parents, FoSJP, and the people who came to this event.
We’d also like to thank these organisations for supporting Green Nose Day:
Over 200 visitors took part in an afternoon of environmentally-themed activities in the Park, conceived, organised, and managed by a group of local 11 year olds supported by FoSJP.
- A Scrap Art challenge, using recycled materials supplied at low cost by the Southampton Scrapstore
- Environmental activities led by Southampton City Council, including recycling quizzes, up-to-date information on recycling, and Plant a Seed
- A Five-a-Day fruit stall, with prizes including fruit and energy-saving electric plugs, and advice from Trading Standards on how to buy with confidence
- Face painting by a well-drilled team of young volunteers
- Orienteering around the Park
- Story telling with an environmental theme, courtesy of Fiona from Shirley Library
Gingerbread Men with green noses were available to buy or given away as prizes to all those who came to the Park with a green nose!
Visitors were encouraged to make a pledge to take at least one action to reduce their impact on the environment, and were invited to record their pledge in a short video clip (below).
Here are some of the “Green Nosers” enjoying their afternoon…