Group Walks & Tours
We usually organise an annual walk for our members or a group tour of local museums and archives. These are often linked to talks given at the Autumn Talks series. Our visits are open to all interested in local history and usually work on a ‘first come first served’ booking with priority given to those members of our distribution list.
For Autumn 2020, we have organised a self-guided Shirley Spitfire Trail which shares the location of many of the ‘hidden’ Spitfire production sites in the vicinity of St.James’ Park. Digital copies of the map are available here or you can pick up a printed copy from the ParkLife Café for a small donation.
Previous Group Walks & Visits organised by the History Group have included:
- Notable & Notorious Women of Southampton (June 2019)
- Research group visit to Local Studies & Maritime Library (May 2019)
- Walking Tour of Southampton Common (April 2018)
- Research visit to University of Southampton Archives at Harley Library (March 2018)
- Group visit to Hampshire Archives (March 2017)
- Group visit to Bursledon Brickworks (April 2017)
- Research visit to Southampton City Archives to see Manor Court Rolls for Shirley (Nov 2016)
- Group visit to Local Studies & Maritime Library (April 2016)
- Research visit to Old Farmhouse, Wilton Road (February 2016)
To find out more about heritage walks and visits organised by the FoSJP History Group between 2009 – 2015 visit Shirley Heritage Project.