Our active Research Group meet regularly to share their research findings and local knowledge. Although our regular meetings are currently on hold, members of the group are continuing to research using on-line resources and local archive collections.
The Shirley Local History Research Group is fortunate to include several people with strong skills in local history and family research. We also welcome anyone who is interested in developing their local history knowledge. A number of our participants also share their first-hand accounts of life in Shirley during the 1930s and 40s.
Our areas of current research include:
- Shirley Common (pre-Enclosure)
- Shirley Parish Hall which was formerly a Rechabite Hall
- St.John’s Church in St.James Road
We also organise regular research trips to local archives and collections such as: Southampton City Archives; the Local Studies Library; Hampshire Archives; and University of Southampton Special Collections.
The Research Group also provides support for other heritage projects and these have included:
- Location of local resting places for the Supermarine 80th Anniversary Commemoration (September 2020)
- Research into First World War ‘Book of Honour’ for the St-James-by-the-Park WW1 Centenary Commemorations (Autumn 2019)
- Support for the Out of the Shadows Community Heritage Day for Nuffield Southampton Theatres collecting first-hand memories of Spitfire production in Shirley (June 2018)
- Sharing oral histories from the Shirley Heritage Project which were used by researchers for The Shadow Factory production at Nuffield Southampton Theatres (2017)
If you are interested in finding out more about the Shirley Local History Research Group, contact us on email@example.com