Shirley Heritage Project – Autumn 2013 Public History Talk #2
“Oatlands Lodge/House – things it saw and people it met”
Speaker: Madge Heath
Madge yet again delivered a fabulous public talk. The quality of Madge’s research in her quest to unveil the local history of Shirley is just amazing. With records dating back to 1835 Madge uncovered that Oatlands House was initially opened as a seminary for young ladies. This 6 bedroom plus attic room house, eventually set on 2 acres of land, subsequently became the private residence of several families including the Allans and the Barlows, until the death of the final residential owner, the wealthy widow Mrs Hagan.
“Oatlands House Part 2 – The Journey beyond 1920” will be covered in the next series of public history talks – an eagerly awaited talk.
Despite searching in various archives, Madge didn’t come across a picture of Oatlands House. She wonders if anyone had been taking a photo in St.James’ Park prior to the 1960s that might have the old house on the corner of St.James’ Road and Winchester Road in the background. If you might have such a photoo, please do get in touch or send us a scanned image via email@example.com.