- January 11, 2018
- 11:42 am
St.James’ Park was once again awarded the Green Flag Award in July 2017.
St.James’ Park was once again awarded the Green Flag Award in July 2016.
St.James’ Park was once again awarded the Green Flag Award in July 2015.
At a ceremony held in Ilford, Essex on Thursday 23rd July 2015, FoSJP Gardening Team members Nigel Fayle and Mike Sanderman represented St.James’ Park as part of a group from Southampton that included representatives from our partners Southampton City Council and from Riverside Park and Hinkler Green which also received the award.
Nigel Fayle and Mike Sanderman in the green FoSJP shirts represent St.James’ Park as part of the Southampton delegation.Photos courtesy of Mike Sanderman
St.James’ Park was again awarded the Green Flag Award in July 2014. This is once again a testament to the ongoing work by and partnerships between:
- the FoSJP Gardening Team who work hard to keep the Park looking so lovely, with help from Southampton City Council;
- the ParkLife Café staff and volunteers in providing a Community Café and Community Room whilst maintaining relationships with Park users and the Council;
- the various groups which use the Park to provide community services and learning opportunities;
- Friends of St.James’ Park and everyone who uses the Park.
St.James’ Park was awarded the prestigious Green Flag Award in July 2012.
The Green Flag Award scheme is the national standard for parks and green spaces in the UK, recognising and rewarding the best green spaces in the country, encouraging the achievement of high environmental standards, and setting a benchmark of excellence in recreational green areas.
For this award, parks and green spaces are judged against eight criteria that involve:
- Being a welcoming and accessible place for all members of the community
- Being a healthy, safe, and secure place
- Cleanliness and state of maintenance
- Environmental sustainability
- Conservation and heritage
- Community involvement
- Promotion as a community resource
- Having an effective management strategy in place
This award was the culmination of all the hard work at St.James’ Park since 2006, and is a testament to the partnership between the Friends of St.James’ Park, Southampton City Council, and the people of Shirley, backed up by sponsorship from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Big Lottery Fund.