FoSJP held a Special General Meeting at the ParkLife Community Room to discuss a proposal from the FoSJP Committee that FoSJP become a registered charity (Charitable Incorporated Organisation) with a wider membership.
Proposals for updated Objectives and a new Constitution have been emailed to existing FoSJP members and are presented below.
- Proposed Objectives
To further or benefit the local residents of St.James’ Park and wider communities of Southampton, by associating together the said residents and the local authorities, voluntary and other organisations in a common effort of improving the conditions of life for the residents. To undertake charitable purposes aimed at:
- The advancement of citizenship or community development
- The prevention or relief of poverty
- The advancement of education
- The advancement of arts, culture and heritage
- The advancement of amateur sport
- The advancement of environmental protection or improvement
- The relief of those in need, by reason of youth, age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage
- Any other charitable purpose
To maintain or manage or co-operate with Southampton City Council in the maintenance and management of community activities promoted by the charity in furtherance of the above objectives.
The Objectives have been written based upon the Charity Commission‘s guidance. We have kept the Objectives as broad as possible in order not to limit our scope too much. Rob Kurn, from Southampton Voluntary Services, who has been supporting us with the writing of the Constitution, has advised us that the Objectives do meet the requirements of the Charity Commission.